Our crew

Our crew

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Post adoptive conversations

I've been following several other adoptive family blogs and a common discussion among adoptive parents is fielding the post adoptive questions.  Where did you get them? What happened to their real mom? How much did it cost? Etc.

These posts have got me thinking.  The general consensus I've read and heard from other adoptive parents is that they are happy to answer your questions, just not in front of the children.  I think this will be particularly hard for me because I'm typically a pretty open book.  I like to talk. (I'm sure you're shocked by this revelation!)  My tendency is to share too much.  So when it comes time to deal with my adopted children's stories, I'm going to have to really restrain myself.  I don't want to make them uncomfortable or feel any different than they already will.  It will definitely be a challenge for me.

I'd love to hear your input on this topic.  What do you adoptive parents think is ok or not ok?  What about those that haven't adopted?  Do you have opinions or thoughts on this subject?

I hope that one day soon we will be figuring this all out first hand, but for now we're reading, talking, and praying.

Please continue to pray with us and for us.  Our children are out there somewhere without us.  We are ready to bring them home and begin life as a whole family.  The waiting game is hard on us and I can only imagine how difficult it is for them.


_________________________________________________________


Liam's birthday is tomorrow.  I was talking with him today and teasing him about not letting him turn 5 because I like 4 year olds so much.  He replied, "well then I guess we need to adopt a 4 year old!"

2 comments:

  1. I am a talker also, I pick and choose who and when I tell our stories. But my kiddos, 2 bio 2 adopted 1 legal custody know I love to talk. And they know everything about adoption from foster care, they (ages 9-13) can answer most the questions that come in public, like where is there mom, or are they going back when they turn 18.
    I was quite proud the other night when I met a lady in my neighborhood whos kids hang outside with mine, told me my son told her, you have an extra bedroom you should talk to my mom about becoming a Foster parent. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an awesome story Many. And very encouraging.

      Delete