Our crew

Our crew

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A bump in the road

Today we hit our first hurdle.  Just a little more icing on the cake after a couple of days of extra crazy.  (This too shall pass, but it was still crazy.)

While I was at the car shop picking up the newly repaired car that we dropped off when we picked up the first car from repairs, I got a call from an unknown number.  Since I was in the midst of juggling my younger three while trying to pay for said repairs, I didn't answer the call.  Once I got everything situated and kids safely loaded in their seats and the air conditioner cranked way up, I listened to the message.  I must admit, when she said the words, "calling from CPS" I had a moment of concern.  What in the world is this about?!!  I quickly calmed down though when she mentioned my application.  I called her right back.

She was calling to ask me about the application.  Since we had filled in both the foster and adoptive boxes, had specified under age 3, and that we were open to a sibling set, she had some concerns.  She said that if we want to do straight adoption through CPS we would need to look on the TARE website and that it would pretty much come down to kids over 6 or with very special needs.  But if we want to foster to adopt we could go younger but that we would only be able to do one since we already have an almost "full" home and that we would likely have several kids in and out of our home before someone came available.  She said that if we want younger siblings for adopt only that we should go through a private agency.  I was confused since this is not what the first case worker told me.  So I wrote him an email stating what she had told me and asking him if that's what he had told me or if I was in fact getting different reports.  He said that this lady has been doing it longer than him, but that what she said is not exactly the case.  He said we could still go through CPS and do adoption only and just wait.  He also said that if we decide to go with a private agency we may have an easier time.  He suggested Buckner because that's who he and his wife used when they adopted their three children.  He also told me that if we decide to use Buckner to let him know and he will let us/our case worker know when he sees a young sibling set.

I looked at the two private agencies that are near us.  Bair Foundation and Buckner are the closest to us, though neither is in Nacogdoches.  I didn't really find the information I was looking for on their websites so I plan to call someone in the next day or two.  I'm not really eager to go through a private agency.  I wont go into that now though.

Before I got off the phone with the lady from CPS I told her to keep us on the list and send us information about PRIDE training.  She confirmed that it will be in November.

I don't really see this as a dead end.  Just a hurdle.  Another challenge and decision to make.  I'm sure there will be many more.

---------------------------

On another note:  While our car was in the shop we borrowed a friends BIG van.  We've been talking for a while about resolving ourselves to the fact that this is what we will have to get if we have any more children.  After just a short time in that van I must agree with my kids when they said, "This is AWESOME!"  It's exactly what we need.  I just wish we didn't have to pour money into the current vehicle, but we do have to be able to transport everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment